Saturday 27 May 2017

The Glade

deep in the woods there’s a place
and it’s stillness scares me
it’s my place and i found it many many years ago
even before you knew me
i found it and well it scared and excited me

at first i thought it was just a hole
a dark dirty awful hole that opened into the earth
but something called to me from within

when i was younger
i ran from the place each time
too afraid to enter and too afraid to stay
but since you
well before you
but because of you
i wanted to explore it

those i live among know nothing of my cave that’s hidden away
oh yes i forgot to tell you
it’s a cave
i’ve actually been inside
during the day at first
the light was only there for ten
maybe
fifteen steps
and then i ran again

no one knows i go there
not even you
and i wish i didn’t know either
it calls to me
and recently something strange happened
and i think it’s because of you
i can walk deeper into the cave
and see more
but oh
i don’t want to
because
well
it so utterly terrifyingly majestic in there
i wouldn’t say beautiful though
someone i described it to once
tells me it is
it is beauty

oh yes, someone knows i go there

it’s like a beauty i’ve never seen before
and i’d touch it and take from it
but it’s always there
more beauty
when i come back to you
i hold that beauty
even though i don’t see it as beauty
someone helped me to see that
someone helped me to say that

but anyway
I bring it to you and show you
and you smile a little smile
the thing that annoys me is
and like it really does annoy me
when i give it to you
it looks nowhere near what it did when i first saw it
and yet you smile and well
i sigh

i find that i can go deeper into my cave since you
and there are spectacular sights in there as i’ve never seen before
cathedral caverns of such grandeur it blows my mind
terrifies my very core
and yet i stand there and let the light wash over the grandeur

once i took and gave to all who made me smile
who give me joy
who made me feel like someone more than i am
and it made me glow
and sigh

do you know what i’d like to do most
not that i can ask it of you
i’d like to take your hand
and take you there

i nearly did once
do you remember that time
we wandered through the forest
and found ourselves in the glade
with the cliff before us
it’s there

i wanted to
but instead we stood and held each other
and laughed
and laughed
and laughed

maybe one day
maybe one day
the darkness won’t be so daunting
or maybe it’s not that
maybe the light won’t be so daunting

do you know what i wonder though
and this thought only struck me recently
maybe the cave isn’t a cave at all
maybe
it’s the world
and we’re in the cave


I don’t know but maybe

Sometimes I get lucky enough to be given an insight into someone's life and they say yes to me writing a poem about it. It's a delight and privilege to have that happen and this is what comes from it. It's one of my most favourite types of poems to write ... ones inspired by the lives of others. (C) Copyright Luke Visser 2017 (written Nov 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment